Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Homi Bhabha's "Of Mimicry and Man: The Ambivalence of Colonial Discourse": Review by Rafey Habib

I have just finished re-reading Homi Bhabha’s essay on the ambivalence of colonial discourse. As teachers of literature, we often remark how much more we see in a poem or a novel in further readings. This was certainly true of Bhabha’s essay for me. I saw so much more in it than in previous readings: so much more pretentiousness and vacuity. This kind of prose is really beginning to embarrass me in front of my students.

And here I am, intending to share with them one of the supposedly crucial texts in post-Colonial studies, which turns out to be a piece of gibberish. Consider this gem: "What emerges between mimesis and mimicry is a writing, a mode of representation, that marginalizes the monumentality of history, quite simply mocks its power to be a model, that power which supposedly makes it imitable." This obnoxiously obfuscatory statement invites multifarious critique: firstly, the spatial metaphor of emerging "between" is entirely devoid of explanatory significance. Secondly, the signification of "writing" is so broad as to be almost meaningless. Thirdly, to blandly equate "writing" with "representation" is to ignore the multifold modes of the representational process. Fourthly, it is utterly unclear what the "monumentality" of history refers to. The word monument has one set of connotations; monumentality has an additional set.


Fifthly, let us turn to the connection between the sentence’s subject and predicate: a mode of representation both places the monumentality of history at the margins and mocks the ability of this mounumentality or history to be a model. In order for marginality to acquire meaning, there must be implied the concept of a centre or mainstream; what is the implied centre which can sustain the marginality of history; to what is it marginal? And how can history be imitable? What does this mean? And of what is it meant to be a model? If this is the kind of prose to which we expose our graduate students, what hope can there be for the future of literary academia?

"Not Quite"
Rafey Habib

Not quite, not white, the cliches
Run down your page: it’s all
There: presence, absence,
Difference everywhere.
If only your words had
Memory of their long, long
Journeys; the discipline to
Talk in civil manner with
One another; if only you
Were trained in some science
Or art, philosophy or law
Or rhetoric; perhaps sat
With truly great books in
Your lap; you might not
Produce such portentous,
Pretentious, crap.

11 comments:

  1. Habib 1, Bhabha 0. Help me understand, though: is Bhabha attempting to highlight the "immediacy" of writing by pointing to its negation of history? If so, to what extent is this comment informed by Derrida?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN.

    I'm reading this for an assignment and I have no idea what he's saying half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope our class discussion answered your questions. I think his comments are informed by (a shabby knowledge of) Derrida; but I am not sure what you mean by the "immediacy" of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear teacehr,
    hello. i hope you are doing fine. i read the text, but what has possessed me is something else. i'm an iranian student of English literature and have found some common interests with you, and that is modenized literated islam.anyway, i have read your magnificent "modern literary criticism and theory;a history" and i'd like to translate it into persian. it'd really be of great use for persia people.but here are two problems:firstly, i want to have your permission for doing that.secondly, i need the other books of yours to start translating them or to read them just for enjoying.i'm really deeply sorry for such a frank request,but i'v really been fond of your pen.deeply and respectfully.please just keep this in your mind that in iran no net-selling possible!!
    i'm waiting for your answer on my blog.the adress given below.thank you teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an admirer and avid reader of your books. I was struggling through Bhabha's writing when I happened to read this blog entry. I am greatly relieved and thankful to you, and I don't feel as much a fool as before for not being able comprehend Bhabha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shouldn't you add, "pompous bastard"?

    Thank you for the invitation into the school of revenge poetry. I seem to have plenty of material.
    - Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. I am a literature sophomore and recently we have taken up Bhabha's discourse on mimicry and colonialism. I had trouble understanding the exact article of Bhabha, and I would very much appreciate it if you could point out the idea and basics of the article Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a weird text that puts a million questions in your head, but unfortunately I have to do a presentation on it in a couple of weeks.

    Every now and then, I feel that the thoughts behind the complicated language are in fact rather simple if not crude, incomplete, unfinished and far more "felt" than known.

    The language appears indeed pretentious, as if its all meant as a cover-up, or alternatively and paradoxically, due to problems handling the language, plus a complete lack of communicative ability, as you pointed out.

    (Thank you for that btw, I already thought my intellectual abilities simply wouldn't measure up to the test)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am indeed enlightened by the comments and criticism by Prof Habib. I read Bhabha often for the purpose of my studies and work and end up being frustrated because 9/10 times, i dont understand what he is saying. One good example is the sentence quoted by Prof Habib. Bhabha writes long-winded sentences with bombastic words which make no sense to almost everyone. Do we need to continue reading Bhabha's work as i seriously believe he wrote for the sake of writing and he too might not understand what he has written. His works are random, bombastic words put together. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading Bhabha's essay for a class. It is discouraging to read about how dense and overly-complex his writing is, but your post here gave me quite a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really tired of people who write things that very little of the population understand. I wish we could have things in plain English, so much more easier. Homi Bhabha driving me mad...

    ReplyDelete